|Author||Beekman et al|
Academic Literacy is an essential tool for people moving into the tertiary phase of education, to support the achievement of their goals. It covers all the necessary academic skills and competencies for constructive and successful study not only reading, writing, listening and verbal communication, but also critical thinking, possibly the core skill needed at this level of study. Other skills it aims to develop are: understanding and engaging in academic study; vocabulary; reading for study purposes; argument; paraphrasing and summarizing; writing paragraphs; assignment writing; and preparing for examinations.
Academic Literacy will help you cope with the reading and writing demands of further and higher education. It will also help you be more knowledgeable about yourself, your aspirations, career goals, and how to manage your time and stress more effectively.
New to the 3rd edition:
- An updated and expanded chapter on developing vocabulary and using dictionaries
- Renewed focus on critical thinking and reflective writing
- A refreshed chapter on writing paragraphs, including reflection on constructing effective paragraphs
- Supplemental text on assignment writing and referencing.
- An accessible and practical and hands-on approach to the subject that offers the key skills required for academic success
- Example texts from a range of disciplines
- Written at an appropriate level for 1st-year students